I am a civil litigation attorney based in the Los Angeles metro area. My primary area of practice is entertainment and intellectual property litigation where I have had the opportunity to work on a number of notable cases including an idea theft case involving the hit BBC America television series "Orphan Black", a trademark infringement case against R&B artist Chris Brown, and a right of publicity case involving Chris Soules of ABC's "The Bachelor". Prior to law school, I worked as a sports writer and web editor at Deseret Digital Media.
Relevant Coursework: Copyright, Trademark, Entertainment Law, Law and Practice with the Hollywood Guilds, Motion Picture Finance and Production, Litigating a Copyright Case, Reality TV and New Media Production and Distribution, Intro to Negotiations, Mediation.
Activities: Scott Moot Court Team, Entertainment and Sports Law Society, Certified Mediator - California Dispute Resolution Programs Act.
Activities: News and Sports section editor for weekly campus newspaper, tutor for public speaking courses.
Awards: Recipient of Newel K. Whitney Award for character, diligence, and pursuit of excellence.
· Independently manage substantial active case load primarily in areas of copyright, trademark, and breach of contract.
· Negotiate with opposing counsel to facilitate settlement of claims.
· Engage in motion practice in state and federal court.
· Counsel with clients regarding litigation options and strategy.
· Drafted litigation materials such as pleadings, anti-SLAPP motions, motions for summary judgment, motions to compel, discovery responses, and settlement agreements.
· Researched privacy, right of publicity, idea theft, copyright and trademark claims in connection with ongoing litigation.
· Appeared in court and argued motions.
· Supervised office work flow including managing incoming client funds, organizing client files, and coordinating attorney schedules.
· Drafted and revised various talent agreements for motion picture and television writers, producers, actors, and directors.
· Reviewed deal memos and redline agreements during negotiations with studios and production companies.
· Performed guild research in areas such as WGA separated rights and residuals.
· Managed incoming funds for deposit in client trust and company accounts.
· Represented indigent clients in court proceedings and administrative hearings under attorney supervision.
· Drafted motions, pleadings, powers of attorney, and other legal documents.
· Interviewed new clients and assessed their legal needs.
· Recipient of 2015 LASOC Patricia Herzog Pro Bono Service Award given to outstanding volunteers.
· Produced articles, infographics, and top lists about professional and college sports for DeseretNews.com.
· Organized content from three media groups for distribution online.
· Vetted digital content for substantive and grammatical accuracy.
· Implemented a system for receiving and responding to customer feedback.
· Wrote a 40-page guide outlining task work flow for web editorial team.